Monday, December 28, 2009

How to improve relationship with teenage daughter?

Her mom is on a business trip, so it's just our 16 year old daughter and me for the rest of the summer, and I want to take this chance to improve our relationship, but I don't know where to start. When she isn't sleeping in to 2 or 3 pm she's out with friends or her boyfriend, and when she is in the house she just lies around watching TV or stays on the computer, ignoring me. Even when I have to drive her somewhere, she just sits in the back and doesn't talk. What can I do to be closer to her?How to improve relationship with teenage daughter?
Don't feel bad. She's just going through the typical ';teenage'; phase. Teenagers generally feel misunderstood (there is a lot of drama that goes on during high school that teenagers don't feel comfortable discussing with their parents), so they find it easier to relate to each other than to those younger or older than them. Your daughter will eventually grow out of this phase. I would consider you a great dad for attempting to reach out to her. If you want to become closer, then I would suggest taking her out for something you both enjoy doing (examples would be fishing, bowling, or even dinner at a restaurant).





Also, when you are in the car with her, you can ask her about various aspects of her life (without prying - just little questions like, ';How was your day'; or ';What did you do today?'; or ';Did you have fun with your friends last night?';). The most important thing to do when raising a teenager is not to be condescending. Show your daughter that you genuinely care about her and that you understand what it was like to be her age at one time (but also remember that you are the parent, and you have a right to set limits for her).





Oh, and one more thing. Does your daughter drive? If not, maybe you can spend quality time with her by teaching her how to in a parking lot. It's a great way to communicate with her, and I'm sure she'll be excited as most teenagers are just dying to get their licenses.How to improve relationship with teenage daughter?
Here's the thing if she was anything like I was at 16 which was 4 yrs ago she just needs some time with herself. You can try to do some of what you know she likes and well you see just tell her one day that you want to spend the whole day together; no cell, no boyfriend, no friends, just the too of you doing whatever you guys want to do. It would have made me happy if my dad wanted to do any of these things. I would try to spend time with him asking him to play basketball with me but he would always say that he's too tired.





I believe that if you try as hard as you can the relationship between you too will grow. Its all a matter of looking into what she like's and trying to plan a day for just the two of you. I do hope that this will work but if it doesn't I'm sorry I just answered how I would have felt at 16. I wanted my dad to be around and well it seems that you want to be around for her.
well im 14 years old so i kinda know what she is goin through


ask her if she wants 2 go somewhere like shoppin,to a theme park,2 her fav. restruant,or to get nails done{i know u are prob. like that would be gay but no its not if she sees you are willing 2 open up she will open up}where ever you go dont be over protective or nerdy.on the way back home from where ever you go talk 2 her.things will work agter that


but 1 thin you dont want 2 do is make her go somewhere with you if u don your whole day will be horrible......hope this helps
I was terrible at 16. Girls can be brats, but I always thought my dad was so awesome. Find something you think she might be into. I always liked going hiking with my dad, going to basketball games, We went to the lake and would take the boat out just us. My dad never talked to me really, but I still had a good time. What do you like to do? Drag her along. Do you ride quads? Horses? Jet skis? There has to be something like a national monument around you? And if you can get away for at least a week then her pouting and being away from friends will subside after a few days. Trust me I really used to be horrible at that age, I'm OLD now but I remember thinking the world would end if I wasn't with my friends and watching my boyfriends every move.
Ask her to go to a movie with you or something that you'll pay for. I'm 15 and I sometimes go to movies with my dad. Going to movies with you might be easier than other things because she won't really be forced to talk to you if she doesn't want to. Or take her for lunch, dinner, or even ice cream. Then you can talk to her and she'll have to listen. :) I like going to dinner with my dad because then we get to talk about school or whatever without distractions like TV. Talk about something she likes, like maybe music or a TV show she likes. Or try watching a movie or listening to music with her at home, so she won't be embarressed for being seen with her dad. Good luck! :)
I love it when my dad and I go to the aquarium or out for ice cream. I am 17 and still a daddy's girl. At the aquarium my dad and I talk about our love for animals and fish. Find something you two have in common and build it from there. Or you could take her ';real camping'; with the tent, the woods, canoe, and everything. There wont be a computer in the woods ; ) lol but there you two can really talk. She will open up to you if there are no other distractions. Share with her your experiences in life and relate them to hers. I know I apriciate it when my dad does this for me. = )
At 16, she's got a life of her own.
Try going clothes shopping every girl loves shopping , or do something she loves together that she would never say no to.
try finding out what she is into by looking at her music/room/things she is looking at on the computer and start by showing intrest by asking her about these things. be a little open and offer to listen to her music in the car. ask her if she is excited about her plans. just make it simple. start off slow. dont grill her or ask 20 questions. ask if she would like to go to her favorite restrant with you. offer to take her and a friend or boyfriend to a movie or somewhere she would like. try to be open minded about what she tells you and dont cut her off and tell her what she should be doing. listen. she probably thinks you dont understand her. by making a effort to try will open communications. dont close them, instead offer advise at a different time without making her feel she should not have told you. most of all try not to nag. good luck.
well you could loosely chaperone going to the amusement park, let her do things shes interested in, but go with her (not out with friends though) ... idk my girlfriend is naturally fond of her dad, and not being a girl I couldn't tell you, but those are the things my parents do and I'm close to them... show her freedom but at the same time, keep an eye on her and let her know you care
try doing stuff she likes.go out to watch a movie or go to the mall.


tell her you would like to talk to her and hang out more.








trust me do it now! haha


My dad tried when it was toooo late and our relationship sucks
Have you tried bringing it up? (In private, I might add...at 16 EVERYTHING my parents did embarassed me). Just ask her if she had fun when she gets home. Wake her up a little earlier and do something together, like a theme park or video games, or just go outside and grill and talk to her. Ask her some questions about herself (keyword: SOME). There's a fine line between a concerned parent and an overbearing, nosy parent. Lol. I put my dad through hell, I think, but we turned out ok. Since he's my stepdad, it took me a while to acclimate, but we did silly things like amusement parks (which I loved), or we watched TV together and made comments about what was on. Just relax and have a conversation like you would with any other person in your life, and I think you'll find that she enjoys being treated like a human being, not simply a daughter. Kick back and have some fun!
Oh gosh...this is a tough one...and I'm 17!


Its just the father-daughter relationship is such a delicate and complicated thing. BUT VERY IMPORTANT so i applaud you for wanting to be a part of your daughter's life.


It is also important to remember that she has a life of her own.





My dad and i get along great, but its not like we 'hang out' together on a regular basis. We do however have father-daughter stuff that we do together. I visited colleges with him. When its just the two of us we have dinner together. We just....its hard to describe. i love my dad, he's amazing, and pretty understanding and he gives great life advice.





Just be there for your daughter. thats the most important thing. Maybe in those car rides ask her how some situation or event in her life is going (maybe her mom knows whats going on and you can get some tips from her? mothers in general are closer socially with their daughters than their dads). Go ahead and take her to a movie and/or have dinner with her. or go shopping with her.





In general just be a good role model.





Again its really hard to say without knowing either of you, or the dynamic you two have. Again, to me the father-daughter relationship is so delicate and unique and fantastic.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment