Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why is an age difference in teenage dating problematic for parents?

The girl that I'm currently dating is fifteen. Even though I am two years older, I am an honors student; I don't tamper with drugs or go out and party; plus, I have a great group of friends that I trust. Her dad recently told her that she can't see me because of the age difference. If I truly have feeling for her, is her father's complaint even legitimate, and, if it is, why does a two-year age gap have such a profound impact on dating?Why is an age difference in teenage dating problematic for parents?
Two years shouldn't be a big deal--you guys probably are equally emotionally mature, and have about the same amount of life experience. If she was dating a 21 year old, her dad might have something to complain about, but 2 years? Come on.


I'd suggest asking her to talk to her dad. Maybe they can come up with some kind of compromise--you guys can see each other, but only at her house at first, or something along those lines. Once he realizes you're a good guy, and not just trying to get in her pants, he should relent.Why is an age difference in teenage dating problematic for parents?
maybe her dad just doesn't know you. And he's afraid you're going to try and take advantage of his daughter...so he's just 'protecting' her from that.
Get her pregnant, problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment